Do you want to plan, install, and operate farm scale permaculture systems for maximum resiliency and economic stability? Ready to learn from international experts in tree crops, keyline design, and multi-species grazing?
We’re all in a unique place in history. Our motivations are clear: live an enjoyable life, earn a living from a sustainable and regenerative source, and build security while facing an uncertain future. The only reliable way to fulfill these goals, for ourselves and the greater world, is to scale-up permaculture. Farmscale Permaculture is the process of rolling out scalable systems that feed lots of people and rebuild ecosystems – changing how Earth looks from space.
This course is hosted at Versaland, an emerging 145-acre agroforestry savanna in Iowa City, Iowa. Versaland is actively transforming a degraded monocultural landscape into an abundant ecosystem. Remarkable to see it happening with your own eyes.
It’s possible, it’s being done, and it’s easier than you think.
This course presents advanced material outside of a typical Permaculture Design Course (PDC), and is focused for those who will create abundant farm ecosystems.
The Farmscale Permaculture course teaches a broad scope of skills and concepts you MUST HAVE.
- Permaculture Business Models Learn from proven practitioners as they explain their permaculture businesses in-depth. Hear from experts in fields as diverse as mushrooms, design consultancy, and pastured livestock
- Keyline Design Hosted on-site of one of North America’s largest developing Keyline systems.
- Value Added Products Learn methods and real-world stories of value-added food products. Feremented foods, hard cider, cured meats and more.
- Energy learn how to modify your infrastructure to operate more efficiently and utilize renewable energy sources
- Specialized Machinery view and operate the specialized machinery to plant, maintain, and harvest a multispecies agroecosystem including tree transplanters, custom row mulchers, and electric tractors
- Grafting Learn how to graft fruit and nut trees so that you can produce your own nursery stock for a fraction of the cost!
- Polyculture Crops Silvopasture and agroforestry. Forage to fruit, apples to seaberries.
- Buildings Farm workflows and building site selection, portable structures, and material selection.
- Water for landscapes, people, and livestock. Adapted water delivery systems from reticulated pipelines to large-scale dams.
- Infrastructure Roads, fencing, pipelines, and power. Where, why, and how.
- Soils Building, understanding, and regenerating
- Buying Land from the big picture of geography to the fine points of contracts
- Economics & Cashflows get in-depth enterprise budgets and profit modeling tools for stacked enterprises available nowhere else.
- Resiliency Learn the tools and techniques that cultivate self reliance, vibrant livelihoods, and resilient health.
- Multispecies Grazing learn the fine points of co-grazing and leader-follower grazing groups of multiple species (also, when NOT to graze)
- Health Medicinals, herbs, and food medicine, wildcrafted and cultivated health for you and your family.
- Holistic Management a working introduction to the management philosophy that works with nature
- Appropriate Technology from low tech to high tech.
- and more…